Re: Patch available: menuconfig-init.2185

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 21:22:43 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Here is another short Menuconfig patch (35 lines):
>
> <ftp://ftp.shout.net/pub/users/mec/patch/menuconfig-init.2185>
>
> This patch changes Menuconfig to initialize unset variables to 'n'.
> This makes "$CONFIG_FOO" != "n" tests work as expected.
>
> This is not my preferred way to solve this problem but I believe it
> works and has no bugs. Please check it out and let me know how it works
> for you.

Hmm... I though, at it's root, the configuration language is defined as an
interpertive language. The way I think menuconfig should be handling this
is such:
1) Process the defconfig, setting the values as defined there ("# foo is not
set" <=> foo='n'
2) Process the .config (if it exists), setting the values as definded there.
loop {
3) Build the menus from the [Cc]onfig.in (as a preformance hack, possibly
build a database of linkages, and don't re-parse the [Cc]onfig.ins each
time).
4) Get user input.
} while (!exited);

Bampf. No more problems with variables equal to "" (assuming the defconfigs
have been updated. Otherwise, the results will be the same as the other
configs.

-=- James Mastros