2.1.85 bug report. Ignore if known.

Massimiliano Ghilardi (ghilardi@cibs.sns.it)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 15:45:59 +0100 (NFT)

Someone on comp.os.linux.development.system suggested to forward my message
to linux-kernel, so here it is:

From: Massimiliano Ghilardi <ghilardi@cibs.sns.it>
Subject: 2.1.85 bugs: umsdos compile errors, ide-disk insmod errors
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system
Yes, this is a bug report.

I tried compiling 2.1.85 and found the following problems:

problem: umsdos filesystem does not compile -- bunch of errors in dir.c
reason: seems there is some code not updated to use the new dcache stuff,
in particular the dentry structure
fix: update it (no, I can't do it myself, I'm not _that_ expert)

problem: the ide-disk.o driver does not work when compiled as module
reason: there is a missing symbol "ide_wait_cmd" that ide-disk.o needs.
ide-mod.o has that symbol but it is not exported.
fix: easy, add "ide_wait_cmd" among exported symbols in ide.c

problem: impossible to specify IRQ,DMA,IO of some sound cards (sound blaster
for example) when compiling sound support as module.
I do not know if this is wanted, but some other cards (GUS) allow it,
so things look at least inconsistent.
reason: strangeness in linux/drivers/sound/Makefile: for some cards there is
a check `ifeq ($(CONFIG_XXX),y)' for others the check is different,
`ifneq ($(CONFIG_XXX),n)' or something like that
fix: decide something consistent and use it ;)

Max