Re: mkdep bug: creates too many dependencies

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
6 Feb 1998 19:34:19 GMT

In article <m2oh0ln1f2.fsf@forest.nuthouse.au>,
Peter Moulder <reiter@netspace.net.au> wrote:
>I don't know who's the best person to send this report to, but:
>
>mkdep.c doesn't honour #if when calculating dependencies.
>
>E.g.
>
>#ifndef __KERNEL__
># include <false_positive.h>
>#endif
>
>Incidentally, mkdep.c also misparses
>
># /**/ include <false_negative.h>
>
>but don't fix this bug until the first one is fixed (if at all) :) .

The first one isn't a bug, it's an important part of mkdep. mkdep really
is supposed to give you the closure of all possible header files you can
end up with, and personally I think that if any kernel header file
contains a

#ifndef __KERNEL__
... non-kernel stuff ...
#endif

then the kernel header file is broken. The closure really is meant to
catch all configuration options, not catch broken code like the above.

Also, the # /**/ include thing is very dubious C in the first place, and
not worth worrying about. I'd happily flag it as an error rather than
trying to parse it.

Linus