Re: 2.1.X and its separation from the Linux User base

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.z.ml.org)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 18:36:45 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Ben Woodard wrote:

> > I don't much mind if we go up to 2.1 255 before 2.2.0... if we later don't
> > go past 2.2.4 ;-)
>
> That sounds like a very cathedralish thing to say. What is the problem
> with having a few bugfix releases in the stable kernel?
>
> Why not let the experimenters run free in 2.3.xx, the early adopters
> shake things loose in 2.2.0-10 (or whatever it takes for about two
> months to go by) and those people that have really critical
> applications jump in around 2.2.11?

How about letting the 'earley adopters' run 2.1?

I'de like to tell people: When it's even number I'de stake a weeks pay on
it being stable..

It's about consistency.

After 2.1 enters a freeze and has been there a few patches it should be
safe for most earley adoptors..