Re: sound <-> kerneld

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 13:04:03 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Thomas Sailer wrote:
> Congratulations, you just noticed that the dependency graph of
> the sound components look like the olympic rings 8)
Hmm? (for my sound setup):
v_midi, uart401, softoss2, sb, opl3, mpu401, and adlib_card depend on sound.
sb depends on uart401.
adlib_card depends on opl3.

/dev/audio, /dev/dsp, and /dev/mixer depend on sb.
/dev/sequencer depends on adlib_card.
/dev/midi00 depends on v_midi.

I don't see any circular dependincies here.

> The right way IMHO to fix this is not to make kerneld work
> with such an arrangement, but to fix sound component dependencies.
You don't seem to be talking about dependencies, but about sound.o knowing
what it can't do. It should be making request_module calls when a device
that dosn't have a driver loaded is called. It looks like that's what you did.
(And where, pray tell, is this patch?)

-=- James Mastros

--
   "I'd feel worse if it was the first time.  I'd feel better if it was
   the last."