Re: lpr problems in 2.0->2.1?

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 18:46:43 +0000 (GMT)

On 8 Feb 1998, Trond Eivind [ISO-8859-1] Glomsrød wrote:

> Yes. It has changed quite a bit - and you can now share the parallell
> port (you can print and use yuor zip drive at the same time).
>
> For me, that has made the printer _really_ slow - the data is
> transferred in chunks, so the printer pauses for quite some time a
> few times for every page, while the same setup prints continually (and
> rather fast) in 2.0.33. Trying to set polling with tunelp doesn't work
> either - and I haven't found any pointers to more info in the sources
> or in Documentation/ either.

Parport documentation is in Documentation/parport.txt. I'm afraid that
tunelp is deprecated. I expect this is an interrupts problem.

Please try telling parport not to use interrupts on the parallel port by
giving it a base address without an IRQ (eg. modprobe parport_pc io=0x378
or boot with parport=0x378) and let me know if that makes it faster.

Tim.
*/