Re: Dynamic Reconfiguration of a PCI adapter (Is it Possible?)

Torgeir Veimo (torgeir.veimo@vertech.no)
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 11:06:17 +0000

Jim Peterson wrote:

> I was wondering whether or not there was any Linux equivalent of the
> Windows NT function HalAssignSlotResources in order to reallocate the
> address range assigned a PCI card. I don't know much about PCI
> myself, but I'm trying to help someone port a Windows NT device
> driver to Linux. I'd prefer (if possible) not to use features of the
> newer kernels, as our customers may typically have rather old Linux
> installations, but any info at all will be fine.

The GGI project has done this in a module specific way. A module load
time parameter can be used to force a base0 - base4 address range to be
mapped to a region specified by root, regardless of how the bios maps
it. There's source at www.ggi-project.org. The spefici file you could
take a look at is i386.c which is the kernel module interface, located
as ggi/driver/kernel/linux/i386.c in the source three.

--
Torgeir Veimo, Vertech AS,