Re: find: /proc/<pid>/fd/4: No such file or directory

David Schwartz (davids@webmaster.com)
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 23:51:03 -0500

>On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, David Schwartz wrote:
>

>> So? Files in the /proc directory can be transient and appear and
>> disappear at whim.
>>
>> DS
>>

>Why don't the other fs's have a problem with shadows? You can make
>ext2 files as transient as they come, and there are no shadows.
>
> -Mike

I haven't looked closely, but my guess is that this file is for the find
processes descriptor used to read the directory, and find's code to traverse
a directory is sufficiently fast that a process switch rarely if ever occurs
in between when a directory is read and the files inside it are checked.
Therefore, only the proc entry for the find process itself is vulnerable.

In any event, this behavior is certainly not unreasonable.

DS