Re: OFFTOPIC: GTK and alternative GUIs and windowing systems in Linux

Bob Taylor (brtaylor@qtpi.lakewood.ca.us)
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 23:47:14 -0800

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998 00:26:16 -0500, Aron Griffis <agriffis@css.tayloru.edu>
writes:

> On 26 Jan 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
>
> > The GNOME project (http://www.gnome.org) aims at providing a
> > completely freely redistributable desktop environment for Unix systems
> > (unlike KDE which is based on the non-free Qt libs).
>
> This is such a bogus argument. It's unfortunate that the sole driving
> reason for GNOME over KDE is faulty. Qt is free for developing free
> software. If you want to develop software for profit, you purchase the
> commercial license. Is that so hard?
>
> I don't mean to offend anyone with this response, but I find it hard to
> believe TrollTech isn't at all offended by the misleading claim made by
> GNOME-supporters that Qt is not free, including the GNOME web-pages (last
> time I checked).
>
> KDE is free and it works beautifully. GNOME is also free, but it is
> presently vaporware. Yes, I have downloaded and compiled the latest
> stuff, and it ain't too convincing. GNOME will probably succeed
> eventually, not because it deserves to, but because the public is being
> misinformed.

Sorry to disagree but qt is not free. It is owned by Troll Tech. There
is a *significant* difference here you have *obviously* missed. Troll
Tech or whoever owns qt can cease its current distribution policy *at
their discretion at any time*. Where will KDE be then?

Bob

BTW, Gnome is NOT vaporware. It just isn't finished yet.

| Bob Taylor             Email: brtaylor@qtpi.lakewood.ca.us    |
| Like the ad says, at 300 dpi you can tell she's wearing a     |
| swimsuit. At 600 dpi you can tell it's wet. At 1200 dpi you   |
| can tell it's painted on. I suppose at 2400 dpi you can tell  |
| if the paint is giving her a rash. (So says Joshua R. Poulson)|