RE: linux-kernel-digest V1 #1571

Royans K Tharakan (rkt@poboxes.com)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 21:33:09 -0000 (GMT)

Sir,

I am running 2.0.32 and am facing a very strange problem

Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda3 289797 282977 0 100% /
/dev/hda1 8040 5868 2172 73% /drive/c
/dev/hda5 97536 90960 6576 93% /drive/5
/dev/hda6 16955 3930 13025 23% /drive/e
/dev/hda7 109608 105752 3856 96% /drive/f

I get the above result from 'df' which tells me that though
8 MB is free... nothing is available. I checked and found out
that I can increase and decrease Used, by adding and deleting
files, but Available never changes... also some programs like
sendmail check only the available and quit. In sendmail I solved
the problem by asking it to look for space more than -1 bytes.
however some other proggies are failing becuase of this. Though
I will get latest kernel installed, I am still trying to think
what caused this problem. I am using 2.0.32 from the time it
was released on the net... and this is the first time I am facing
this problem.

Thanking you
Royans

---