Re: [OFFTOPIC] GTK and alternative GUIs and windowing systems

Erik Corry (erik@arbat.com)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 18:41:26 +0100 (MET)

In article <199802111409.JAA18836@cyprus.atlantic.net> you wrote:

> That's not true at all. Each version of Qt, when it is released with
> a given license, is usable according to the terms of that license in
> perpetuity. Future versions may be more restricted (and no, I don't
> expect that, either), but that doesn't change the fact that (e.g.) Qt
> 1.32 will always be usable for free software development.

>From the license:

: You may copy this version of the Qt toolkit provided that
: the entire archive is distributed unchanged and as a whole,
: including this notice.

1.32 will be totally useless for free software development
the moment we start finding bugs in it or want to improve
it. You cannot distribute modified versions of Qt. As long
as Troll are still bringing out new versions of Qt that's
not a big problem.

Remember, there was a time (some would say there still
is) when the BSDs were clearly technically superior to
Linux. It was in a large part the license that was the
attraction of Linux. Licenses matter.

>From Troll's FAQ:

: 10.Can I charge for my application?
:
: The free license is intended for free software. We realize
: that CD-ROMs cost money to produce, for example, so you
: can charge a copying fee.

The copying fee limit is a extra restriction that doesn't
apply to anything else in Linux. Where does it leave people
like Caldera or SUSE or Red Hat with their professional
editions, which cost much more than any copying fee? Though
actually, now it comes to it I can't see the restriction
in the license, only in the FAQ.

: 14.Can I make a Qt shared library and distribute it with
: my Linux distribution?
:
: Yes, if you do not make changes to Qt and include all
: the files present in our distribution of Qt. (That
: is, you must include the source code.)

: 16.I found this obscure bug and I need it fixed, fast!
:
: We sell support and maintenance contracts. We try to support the
: developers using the free software license as well, and we take all
: bug reports seriously, no matter who they come from. But, of course,
: when there's too much to do, our customers have higher priority.

If you base a Linux distribution on this you tie your hands.

--
Erik Corry erik@arbat.com