Re: OFFTOPIC: GTK and alternative GUIs and windowing systems in Linux

Dave Cinege (dcinege@psychosis.com)
Wed, 11 Feb 98 20:32:13 -0500

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998 02:21:13 -0800, George wrote:

>> So could Linus. (The parts that are his anyway, leaving you with a quite
>> useless pile'o crap kernel tree)
>
>existing code HAS to be GPL, you can't change a license on RELEASED
>source code, by Linus changing the license, all that would ahppen is
>Linus would be out of kernel developing (and of course he would be the
>one left with the useless pile of code since he could not use the other
>code, while the rest of us could use his parts without problems) ....
>this is the greatest strengths of GPL ...

Well after the court case we can all be sure. Otherwise, I'm still of the opinion
at the least, it would become a large seathing pile of shit should a GPL author
try to the reclaim his code, mostly turning out in a mixed result. (Like you can
freely use the author code before he made the licence change, but can't
modify it further, etc, etc)

>but I'm fairly sure that Linus won't do that ...
>1) he wouldn't gain much
>2) he's just a real nice guy ... (I guess:)
3) we know where he works. ; >