Re: ANNOUNCE: /dev/bios - flash rom bios driver

Ray Glendenning (ray@hackery.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:50:35 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Jeffrey Hundstad wrote:

> On 11 Feb, chip@atlantic.net wrote:
> > According to John Labovitz:
> >>
> >> fd1 = open("/dev/biosguard", O_WRONLY);
> >> fd2 = open("/dev/bios", O_WRONLY);
> >> write(fd2, newbioscode, newbioscodelen);
> >> close(fd2);
> >> close(fd1);
> >>

> > I like this even better than my own ioctl guard idea.
>

> or...
>
> write(fd2, newbioscode, newbioscodelen, bioscode_md5sum);

Or use sercurelevel (which I assume will, or should be set by init) which
will only allow writing in single user mode. I also think ext2 fs flags
should only be alterable depending on securelevel.

Regards

Ray Glendenning

PS. Looks like it's time to start using securelevel *8-)