Re: OFFTOPIC: GTK and alternative GUIs and windowing systems in Linux

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.z.ml.org)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 13:36:19 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Aron Griffis wrote:

> On 26 Jan 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
>
> > The GNOME project (http://www.gnome.org) aims at providing a
> > completely freely redistributable desktop environment for Unix systems
> > (unlike KDE which is based on the non-free Qt libs).
>
> This is such a bogus argument. It's unfortunate that the sole driving
> reason for GNOME over KDE is faulty. Qt is free for developing free
> software. If you want to develop software for profit, you purchase the
> commercial license. Is that so hard?

This kind of arrogance is typical of the KDE people!

If KDE became the standard desktop enviroment under linux then commercial
vendors could either a) develop apps that dont integrate well b) pay a
(large) royality to TT.. This is absoultly not acceptiable, not of a
standard enviroment..

What do you want 'Linux: The OS where only free software is allowed'

> I don't mean to offend anyone with this response, but I find it hard to
> believe TrollTech isn't at all offended by the misleading claim made by
> GNOME-supporters that Qt is not free, including the GNOME web-pages (last
> time I checked).

Everyone I've talked to understand what's free about QT and what isn't.

> KDE is free and it works beautifully. GNOME is also free, but it is
> presently vaporware. Yes, I have downloaded and compiled the latest
> stuff, and it ain't too convincing. GNOME will probably succeed
> eventually, not because it deserves to, but because the public is being
> misinformed.

Hopefully the efforts of KDE and Gnome will eventually be integrated.
GNOME is trying to work with KDE apps and such..

In the end, gnome stuff should work under kde and kde stuff under gnome..

BTW- Gnome is going places that KDE simply isn't..

Imlib (and there is also talk of Xexts for server side IMLIB handling)
Corba
nas