Re: [OFFTOPIC] GTK and alternative GUIs and windowing systems in Linux

joost witteveen (joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl)
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 22:04:14 +0100 (CET)

In an attempt to save the world from disaster, Trevor Johnson wrote:
> Joe Pranevich:
>
> > Okay, you seem to be misunderstanding the meaning of the word "free" as
> > far as the Linux community is concerned. Maybe you should replace every
> > occurance of the word "free" with the word "open" to reduce confusion.
> >
> > Open == GPL. End of story.
>
> Not at all. The Linux kernel is released with a modified, less
> restrictive GPL (see the COPYING file)

That's rubbish! There are _no_ modifications in the linux/COPYRIGHT file.
Yes, there is a notice from Linus that explains how to interpret somethings
in the copyright, but I just checked, and linux/COPYRIGHT is identical
to the GPL (appart from these initial 6 lines from Linus).

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

The upstream maintainer is allowed to do things different than Debian, but only if he has good reasons to do so.