Re: Finding mysterious 2.0.33 crashes -- Please help

Klaus Lichtenwalder (Klaus.Lichtenwalder@WebForum.DE)
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 12:13:12 +0000 (WET)

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, G. Sumner Hayes wrote:

> Has anyone had mysterious hangups in 2.0.33 (total hang, no messages in
> logs, no oops) who is _not_ using an Adaptec SCSI driver? It could help
> narrow the range of code to be checked if that's a common factor in all
> these cases. Also, has anyone had this problem who is _not_ using an
> NE2000 ethernet card? Who is _not_ using a PS/2 mouse? Who is _not_
> using glibc?
>
> Let's try to figure out the commonalities of our systems. My first
> suspicion is the 2940 driver.

Well, I tend to blame the 2940 too. I have another machine with scsi
timeouts from time to time where I have to press the reset button..

> PPro 180, 64MB EDO
> Adaptec 2940U (AIC 7881U on-board controller)
> ISA NE2000 clone (which has worked fine for a long time)
> glibc 2.0.5c (I've upgraded to 2.0.6 recently)
> PS/2 Mouse

My machine is plain 2.0.33 + Solar Designers Patch + aic7xxx 5.0.5 +
vortex driver 0.49 (1/2/98).

It's a P166, 96MB Ram, Adaptec 2940 + 2 HD's, 3c589, 2 Elsa ISDN cards,
1 ICN isdn card (inactive), libc5, no mouse, vga card (there's no
monitor, it's deep down in a computer room) Asus MB (can't check more
exactly, sorry), 2 serial on board with ppp connections.

Mostly sendmail and Apache with ~25 Virtualhosts.

And I have this mysterious routing problem (I can hear you say "oh no,
not again"... 8)

Klaus Lichtenwalder