Re: The Ultra Sound Driver

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 22:53:58 +0000 (GMT)

> I started new project for the Linux. Code name is 'The Ultra Sound
> Driver'. Primary goals are:

Please talk to Thomas Sailer. He's also already started ;)

> 2) Create new Ultra API which breaks most of limitations of current OSS API.

The OSS API has to remain supported, even if as Thomas proposed some of it is an
optional module.

> 1) Anyone knows about main reasons why OSS/Lite must be only one sound
> driver/API for Linux? (I hope that this question turn on some
> discussions about current OSS/Lite API - maybe we can move to ultra
> mailing lists).

For the same reason we dont have 500 different IDE drivers for each drive
in the kernel. After 2.2 I anticipate that a lot of people are going to
effectively nuke much of the OSS/lite code.

> 2) Anyone have good reason why sound driver can't exist only as group
> of kernel modules? I think that it's now time for modularized kernel.

You sometimes want the sound compiled in, and there are still a few
fringe cases where stuff isnt tidily managed otherwise (one remaining
bug is if you have a MAD16 or equivalent the module ought to activate
the IDE ports and register the ide interface). Sound cards also interact
in interesting (but not problematic) ways with the joystick and CDROM
drivers.

Alan