Re: Finding mysterious 2.0.33 crashes -- Please help

Jos Vos (jos@xos.nl)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 15:50:07 +0100

G. Sumner Hayes wrote:

> Has anyone had mysterious hangups in 2.0.33 (total hang, no messages in
> logs, no oops) who is _not_ using an Adaptec SCSI driver? It could help
> narrow the range of code to be checked if that's a common factor in all
> these cases. Also, has anyone had this problem who is _not_ using an
> NE2000 ethernet card? Who is _not_ using a PS/2 mouse? Who is _not_
> using glibc?

Yes to all... We have no Adaptec, no NE2000, no PS/2 mouse, and no
glibc
and we have mysterious system halts without _any_ messages very
frequently
(one or two times a week, sometimes 2 times in 2 hours).

I already had a tcpdump running on the console and when the system
has stopped, no suspicious packets are seen on that trace for the last
10 seconds of the system's life. No log messages are found and
the filesystem is never really corrupted or so.

We have these problems with 2.0.32 and 2.0.33 (before that, we used
an 1.2.13-based system, which only went down at power failures..).

> There are no messages on console or in the logs when this happens; it's
> a complete system freeze and only the reset button will fix it. Vanilla
> 2.0.33. I had problems when using both gcc 2.7.2.3 and egcs-1.0.1. It
> tended to happen about once a week.

This sounds familiar...

> Curiously, the problem seems to be in remission. My machine was up
> for 11 days without a glitch; I rebooted it after upgrading to Doug
> Ledford's most recent aic7xxx driver (5.0.5, I believe...) and it's
> been up another 4 days since then (making at least 2 weeks since I've
> had a problem). I'd like to help find the problem if it isn't in the
> aic7xxx driver or if it is still present in the newest driver, but I
> don't really have any idea how to find it without any oopses or log
> messages.

Our system is a 486DX2/66 with ASUS SP3G motherboard, DEC 21041 and
AMD79C970 Ethernet cards (both PCI), NCR on-board SCSI, etc.

-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364
-- Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Fax: +31 20 6948204