Re: Interesting log messages!

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 11:52:10 -0500

Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> Since bringing up an installation of Coda, I have been getting a lot of
> this in the logs on the server box:
>
> Feb 12 18:55:18 cy kernel: iput: device 00:00 inode 28550 still has aliases!
> Feb 12 18:55:18 cy kernel: iput: device 00:00 inode 28558 still has aliases!
> Feb 12 18:55:18 cy kernel: iput: device 08:05 inode 127278 still has aliases!
> Feb 12 18:55:20 cy kernel: VFS: bad count for in-use inode, count=243

> Bill, the 'VFS: bad count..' warning is from your d_cache debugging patch,
> so I thought this might be of particular interest. Do the messages
> necessarily indicate filesystem problems?

Hi Steve,

The messages you're getting do indicate a serious problem, though the "bad
count" message itself is more of a warning. For most filesystems inodes can only
be used as many times as they have hard links, so the use count should be a
small number.

I took a quick look at coda and it appears to need a few changes. If Peter Braam
(or someone familiar with Coda) has time to work on the code, I could suggest
some changes.

Regards,
Bill