Re: mysterious 2.0.33 crashes

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 17:42:10 +0100 (MET)

Chris Evans wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Jos Vos wrote:
>
> > FWIW (as I already told in another mail): I'm having the same type
> > of problems on a system that happened to run for years without any
> > unexpected crashes with 1.2.13. After upgrading to 2.0.32/33 (and
> > with a complete new distribution, not based on glibc), the system
> > mysteriously halts 1 or 2 times a week without _any_ message.
>
> Please bear in mind a point Doug has already stressed -- the 2.0 kernels
> hit hardware much harder that 1.2 kernels.
>
> As a real data point, we had a machine running 1.2.x, and the processor
> fan had stopped. It lasted two weeks of uptime. We booted on one of the
> 2.0pre kernels, and invariably got 3 or 4 oopses merely on boot-up, and
> that was if it didn't spontaneously reboot.

But then again, the symptoms of "stressing the hardware harder" are 99%
Oopses, sig11's and filesystem corruption. There are bunches of people
reporting sudden "stops".

Roger.

--
If it's there and you can see it, it's REAL      |___R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl  |
If it's there and you can't see it, it's TRANSPARENT |  Tel: +31-15-2137555  |