Re: My spin on the flash bios interface...

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 17:05:54 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Linux Mailing list account wrote:

> I think quite a few people are overlooking a key point about security:
>
> Once someone has hacked in and is root, they can already do these things.

> On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:
>
> > Binding it to a SysReq key might make it a "local only" type of function, but

We could mem-protect the flash region somewhere 'deeper down'
in the kernel _and_ SysRq-protect it. This would also protect
from people writing/insmodding their own version of the driver
once they're hacked in as root.

Rik.