Re: The Ultra Sound Driver

Itai Nahshon (nahshon@actcom.co.il)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 02:04:11 +0200

Alan Cox wrote:

> After 2.2 I anticipate that a lot of people are going to
> effectively nuke much of the OSS/lite code.

Alan,
What is planned in the sound driver area before 2.2?

There were some discussion about use of request_module calls from the
sound driver vs enhancements to kerneld. I did not check if modutils
2.1.85
fix these problems. IMHO use of request_module will make the sound
configuration
using conf.modules simpler, more flexible and also more robust.

Is there a chance that isapnp will get into a distribution kernel before
2.3.0? This will enable big improvements to the sound driver.
If isapnp is going to be in, IMHO it should be as soon as possible (but
under a config option) even if it is not production quality yet.

Itai

--
Itai Nahshon   nahshon@actcom.co.il
        Also   nahshon@vnet.ibm.com