Re: ncr53c8xx + tulip IRQ sharing

Chris Zwilling (chris@cloudnet.com)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 06:40:52 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Jon Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Rogier Wolff wrote:
>
> > No. Linux guarantees that YOUR interrupt will not occur. This means
> > that you have free reign about your own device (the ncr8xx). However
> > if you cannot tolerate being interrupted for a few microseconds, (e.g.
> > if the device has a microsecond timeout after writing a "low word")
> > you can opt for running the whole interrupt routine with interrupts
> > off to keep things "consistent".
>
> I didn't realize my question and lame BIOS would spark such a lively
> debate. Anyone care to guess which is the best way to procede? Make the
> NCR driver use slow interrupts? Make the Tulip driver use fast ones? Try
> to somehow force them onto different IRQ's without the BIOS's help?

Personally I run two NCR based cards (875s) and a Tulip based NIC. I have
never had problems getting them to co-exist. I think that the current
state of the driver(s) is just fine and that if it doesn't work on some
people's motherboards, then the motherboard is broken.

; There are no bugs in software, ; Chris Zwilling
; Just users that don't know how to use ; chris@cloudnet.com
; our products. --Bill Gates ; System Administrator
; ; 320.240.8243