Re: Laptop not shutting down on halt w/ 2.1.8[56]

Sean Kelly (smkelly@zombie.org)
17 Feb 1998 19:27:20 +0100

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, David L. Parsley wrote:

> I've seen some comments on laptop screen blanking and such, but haven't
> heard (or don't recall) any mention of laptops not shutting down on
> halt. With this kernel-config option under 2.0.33, it works; but not
> under 2.1.8[56] - the machine stops, but power stays on & I have to hit
> ctrl-alt-del, reboot to .33 & THEN shut-down. I have an HP Omnibook
> 5500CT, which otherwise seems to do fine with Linux. (I used to get the
> 'unrecognized device id', but stopped using screen blanking). I'm
> running RH5 w/ all the official updates I'm aware of at the moment.

I've noticed this too. I use APM poweroffs to have my machine [desktop
though] automaticly powerdown.

I, however, decided to fix this problem in the 2.1 kernel.

Look in your /usr/src/linux/kernel/sys.c
Do a search for: LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_HALT

Now, add a line to poweroff before halt:
case LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_HALT:
notifier_call_chain(&reboot_notifier_list, SYS_HALT, NULL);
printk(KERN_EMERG "System halted.\n");
---> machine_power_off();
machine_halt();
do_exit(0);
break;

Sorry I didn't make a diff or anything..

--
Sean Kelly
smkelly@zombie.org