Re: ctrl-alt-del not handicap accesable?

Sean Kelly (smkelly@zombie.org)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 23:38:33 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Kevin Lentin wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 1998 at 10:03:58PM +0100, Rik van Riel wrote:
> >
> > Not specifically, but you _shouldn't_ use ctrl-alt-del
> > to reboot your system. You should to a reboot or telinit 6
> > (when under Linux or RedHat) to make a clean reboot.
>
> 'Linux or RedHat' Not sure what that means.
>
> BUT what is wrong with using CAD to reboot? All it does is send a boot
> message to init as far as I can tell. My machine goes through exactly the
> same routine whether I press CAD or run telinit 6 or run reboot or shutdown
> -r now. They're all equivalent.

I've found that different distributions of Linux setup init and keymaps
differently, so rebooting using CAD is different from machine to machine.

I use Slackware Linux, and pressing LCTRL+LALT+DEL is *better* than
'telinit 6' because it runs the 'shutdown' command first:
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t5 -rfn now

It would probably be best to either change keyboard maps or just type
'shutdown -r now' as root.

--
Sean KElly
<smkelly@zombie.org>