Re: Finding memory leaks

Karlis Peisenieks (karlis@mt.lv)
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:53:35 +0200

At 01:17 PM 2/19/98 +0000, Chris Evans wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Karlis Peisenieks wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am running 2.0.33 on several machines which are being used as network
>> routers. They all have 8Mb of memory. I wrote small userspace programm that
>> is reporting amount of free memory every 10 seconds. It is decreasing all
>
>Hi,
>
>What method did you use to determine how much memory is "free"? Are you
>mistaking used memory for cached/buffered memory?
>
>Chris

Thanks for your mail.

I determine amount of free memory by reading "/proc/meminfo". I am also
logging cached/buffered memory and I can see very well how OS starts to
discard cache/buffers when it reaches only ~350 kb free. Free amount stays
approx. 350 but cached and buffered are decreasing (so later you can not
even telnet to that box and even execute 'shutdown -r now' because shared
libraries have almost completely been unloaded and there is no memory to
load them back).

Later, when there is nothing to discard, free memory reduces to approx 100
kb and then that box stops sending UDP pakets to me.

By the way, I forgot to tell that swapping is disabled on these boxes!

Later,
Karlis