Re: mysterious 2.0.33 crashes

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:10:56 -0600

JuanJo Ciarlante wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Doug ``Sherlock'' Ledford wrote:
>
> >[...]
> >
> > 1. Disable PCI Bus Optimization (CONFIG_PCI_OPTIMIZE). We already know
> >[...]
> > 2. Disable the CONFIG_SKB_LARGE option. This is too uniformly established
> > in the problem machines not to be suspect.
> >
> > 3. IF you don't use it, then disable IP_MULTICAST support (although the
> > kernel code may be fine for multicast support, individual drivers vary in
> > how they handle this option, including some cards just go strictly into
> > promisc.
> >[...]
> > 4. IP_MASQUERADING....well, this has been in there enough to be suspect,
> > but we also know that it can work properly. Any problems with this code
> > very well may be load/CPU speed/SKB_LARGE combinational dependant. If you
> > don't need it, disable it. If you do need it, make sure you've done steps
> > 1,2, and 3 to try and make sure this is reliable.
> backport 2.1 softirq/refcnt'ed code is not just cut'n-paste, but will do
> it if it's worth effort. Is it?

I would wait and see if the suggestions I made help people first before
going through the effort. It may be that they don't make any difference,
who knows. They were only best guesses based upon the patterns I saw in the
.config files.

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net> Opinions expressed are my own, but they should be everybody's.