Re: Clue on 2.0.33 crashes

Thomas Schenk Z (tschenk@dejanews.com)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 08:48:09 -0600 (CST)

On 20-Feb-98 Doug Ledford wrote:
> Jos Vos wrote:
>>
> Hmmmm, I'm running xntpd on about 5 systems and I've never had a lock nor
> seen this message. Of course, that could be merely luck. The real question
> in my mind is what is that message all about. There were significant
> updates to the kernel time code in 2.0.32 or 2.0.33 (can't remember which).
> It seems (by memory) that the changes were written by either Ulrich
> {Wendel,Drepper} (SP?). Maybe the author would comment?

Which version of xntpd are you running? We never saw this message until we
upgraded to xntp3-5.91 and then only after switching to 2.0.32 (when the
kernel code changed). I asked the author about this message and he said
that it is harmless, but my experience tells me otherwise. The other thing
I would ask you is whether the machines on which you are running xntpd are
SMP or not. I think that the problem I am experiencing with xntpd may be
SMP specific.

>> Hmmm, yes, we also have these message every time when xntpd says to be
>> synchronized but without doing a time step. Although we have frequent
>> mysterious system lockups, I can't find a relation with this (in time).
>>
>> What is interesting, of course, is whether all people getting these
>> lockups also run xntpd.
>>
>> Another thing (because multicasting is mentioned): do all people
>> with the lockups run gated (I do...)?

We do enable multicasting in the kernel, but do not run gated.

Tom

---