Re: virtual disk system (swap enhancement idea too)

Mark Spencer (markster@marko.net)
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 19:36:37 -0600 (CST)

> On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > <OFFTOPIC>As an aside, it would be neat if the kernel would pre-write
> > > pages to disk so that when it came time to swap to disk, there would
> > > already be some pages written. Of course this should only happen when
> > > there isn't alot of disk accesses going on.</OFFTOPIC>
> > Power saving people will not like this idea, as it causes disk traffic
> > even if one is not needed.
>
> Then they dont need to turn it on.. This would be a GREAT feature..
> Computer sits at home all day with nothing going on .. You come home and
> startup netscape and it doesn't have to actually swap at all... This is
> nice.. and would not likely be hard to impliment.. Just make it sysctl
> controlable.. :)

So is anybody going to try this? I did try my hand at it once and even
thought I got close, but alas, for reasons I cannot express on this list,
my work was destroyed before I could finish.

-Mark