Re: Hang in wait_on_inode with SMP 2.1.87

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:48:00 -0500

Carsten Gross wrote:

> Afer a while the system hung: here is the output from alt+sysreq+i on the
> console (written by hand, I hope, everything is correct):
>
> List Inodes Used Hash Link Lock Dirt Pipe Sock Odd? Page
> UNUSED 1707 0 0 1698 0 0 0 0 0 0
> CLEAN 2209 2209 2126 2209 1 11 11 72 0 7302
> 08:01 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0
> 00:01 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> 08:15 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> 08:16 3 3 3 3 0 3 0 0 0 1
> 08:11 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0
> 08:03 6 6 6 6 0 6 0 0 0 222
> 07:00 9 9 9 9 0 9 0 0 0 0
> Inodes Acc.: 3936, Total pages: 7525

> Perhaps it is a low-level problem with the aic7xxx driver? A lot of people
> seem to have problems with occosional hangs and the Adaptec 2940 controller.
>
> During writing the above output on paper, there was this error message:
> EXT2fs-panic (08:11) ext2_read_inode: unable to read inode block - inode
> 38693 block = 1373770361

Hi Carsten,

The inode table shows only two locked inodes, and no inodes with messed up
counts or i_state values (the "Odd?" column).

An ext2-panic in ext2_read_inode will always leave the inode locked, as the call
never returns from read_inode to clear the lock. So that accounts for one inode
left in the locked state. This error really shouldn't be happening, so I would
suspect that the underlying problem may very well be with the scsi driver.

I think there's a patch against 2.1.xx to update the scsi driver, so I would
recommend trying that and seeing if the problem still recurs.

Regards,
Bill