Re: SCSI device detection

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu)
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 20:44:08 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Trever Adams wrote:

> I am curious, is there a way to force detection of an external device
> that was turned off at boot time? If not, I think this would be a
> feature (sysctl?). Scanners and other such external SCSI devices are
> not things you want to leave on all the time, if you could force
> redection of currently NOT used SCSI ID #'s by a sysctl it would allow
> you to use them, and (pardon my ignorance of SCSI if this is wrong) do
> so without disrupting currently recognized devices.

>From drivers/scsi/scsi.c:

/*
* Usage: echo "scsi add-single-device 0 1 2 3" >/proc/scsi/scsi
* with "0 1 2 3" replaced by your "Host Channel Id Lun".
* Consider this feature BETA.
* CAUTION: This is not for hotplugging your peripherals. As
* SCSI was not designed for this you could damage your
* hardware !
* However perhaps it is legal to switch on an
* already connected device. It is perhaps not
* guaranteed this device doesn't corrupt an ongoing data transfer.
*/

/*
* Usage: echo "scsi remove-single-device 0 1 2 3" >/proc/scsi/scsi
* with "0 1 2 3" replaced by your "Host Channel Id Lun".
*
* Consider this feature pre-BETA.
*
* CAUTION: This is not for hotplugging your peripherals. As
* SCSI was not designed for this you could damage your
* hardware and thoroughly confuse the SCSI subsystem.
*
*/

Ionut

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.