Re: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source

mharris@ican.net
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 06:37:42 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Stefan Mars wrote:

> > mharris> GGI isn't just a huge bloated kernel patch.
> > mharris> It is a small kernel patch with userland libs. The kernel
> > mharris> part of GGI is called KGI and only puts into the kernel stuff
> > mharris> that HAS to be in the kernel.
> >
> > Then show us what needs to go into the kernel .... OpenGL does not.
>
> *heartattack* Geez, whatever gave you the impression that we are trying to
> put OpenGL into the kernel?? trust me, we are not.
>
> We are aiming at making the kernel patch:
>
> 1. Small
> 2. Compiletime config option
[SNIP]
> _Please_ go over to http://www.ggi-project.org and read our webpages
> before saying something like this. I have the distinct feeling that most
> people here are critizise something they know next to nothing about.

That is exactly what I've found when discussing GGI. Those who
oppose it the most do so because they envision a huge graphics
library complete with 2D, 3D code, accelleration, etc... to be
included in the kernel. With GGI this is 100% false however.
It's too bad that in general, people open their mouth's and speak
before getting their facts straight and researching their
information.

> So, please, come and have a look for yourself. If you feel that we are
> doing something good, then please tell us and linux-kernel so. If you feel
> something should be done otherwise we will listen to that too. You will
> notice that we have reasons for everything we have done, but that doesn't
> mean that we couldn't change it should somebody prove us wrong.
>
> But complaining/attacking/worrying about us without even having checked it
> out yourself is a very bad thing to do (tm).

That is a very open mind who speaks these words. ;o)

Hard to argue with an attitude like that. Although I'm sure that
someone will. ;o)

Mike A. Harris | Homepage: http://blackwidow.saultc.on.ca/~mharris
Computer Consultant |
I collect and browse commercial email sent to: root@127.0.0.1
PROCMAIL: A very flexible mail filter program