Re: 2.1.82-87: Hanging in __wait_on_page (was: Re: Hang in wait_on_inode with SMP 2.1.87) and SMP+IO

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 15:23:53 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Richard Jones wrote:
> Rik van Riel wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Steve Hsieh wrote:
> >
> > > It seems that the common thread among all of us is that we have the
> > > aic7xxx SCSI controller? And it seems that using the 5.0.5 (5.0.7?)
> > > aic7xxx driver will avoid this problem.
> >
> > I've also seen it with 2.1.76 - .84 on an Advansys ABP940U
> > SCSI controller with a drive with a small firmware bug.
>
> I should add here that the __wait_on_page bug
> has nothing to do with SCSI at all. The process
> hangs accessing a large software RAID 5 partition

OK, so we can conclude that the hang occurs somewhere
higher up in the kernel. Maybe in the block device
handling or in ll_rw_blk.c...
And it must be something subtle since we haven't found
anything obvious yet :-( ...Time for a detective...

Rik.