Re: even the press likes us ;-)

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 14:48:54 -0800

From: hpa@transmeta.com (H. Peter Anvin)
Date: 24 Feb 1998 16:53:25 GMT

Followup to: <199802240526.AAA03407@rufus.w3.org>
By author: Daniel Veillard <veillard@rufus.w3.org>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> BTW, why a MIPS instead of say an Alpha or a Sparc chip ? Is this linux,
> Sw/HW engineering related or politics/marketing/price consequences ?
> I agree this is certainly a bit out of scope of linux-kernel ...

Probably was picked based on price/performance... my guess would be
with emphasis on price. Alphas and SPARCs are both very expensive.

Yes, precisely. Get us similar prices for Alpha/SPARC
CPU+memory/PCI-controller combo's as we do for MIPS and we'll happily
move to those platforms. ;-)

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com