Re: problems with aic7xxx-p7 driver under 2.0.33

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 00:44:36 -0600

Randy Dees wrote:

> I am having trouble with the aic7xxx driver with Doug Ledford's patches.
> Yesterday I upgraded to p7 after shipped 2.0.33 gave me lots of scsi
> resets.
>
> The machine was in use and went from a normal load < 1.0 up to 10 and kept
> going in just a few seconds. It happened several times after a random
> amount of uptime, under varying programs - all inside X is about the only
> consistency.
>
> These are the messages from the console:
>
> SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 15152) timed out trying harder
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0 (SCSI 0:0:1:1)
> Waiting List inconsistency; SCB index = 255, numscbs = 30 (SCSI 0:0:1:1)
> Yikes!! There is a loop in the disconnected list! (SCSI 0:0:1:1)
> Yikes!! There is a loop in the free list!
>
> This looped infinitely (well, at least until I dropped the power).

Both driver versions are giving you problems then. Not only that, but the
above referenced problem is *extremely* rare (I haven't seen a message like
that since before 5.0.0 was released) and indicitave of bad values down in
the card. I would guess that you have one of two problems, corrupted source
code (apecifically aic7xxx_seq.h) or problems with the card itself.

> Any ideas how I can resolve these problems and make this machine usable?

Two things. Try moving the controller to another PCI slot on the off chance
that there is a bad pin on this slot that doesn't give us problems until we
are dealing with high SCB numbers, or try another controller card. To be
honest, the later option sounds to me like the one more likely to fix the
problem.

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net> Opinions expressed are my own, but they should be everybody's.