Re: egcs 1.0.1 miscompiles Linux 2.0.33

Jeffrey A Law (law@hurl.cygnus.com)
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 01:18:48 -0700

In message <199801102245.XAA00404@mvmap66.ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de>you write:
> [x-posted to linux-kernel and egcs mailing lists]
>
> Compiling the Linux kernel 2.0.33 with haifa-enabled egcs 1.0.1 causes a
> repeatable kernel oops for me in vortex_open() during ifconfig.
> I had used "-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -mcpu=pentium" as the
> architecture-specific settings for a 586. This does not happen with
> gcc 2.7.2.1.
Hmm, I've got a stock 2.0.33 working with the current 1.0.2 prerelease
sources with the following options for my two x86 boxes:
"-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -mcpu=pentium -march=pentium"
"-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentiumpro"

I didn't configure for haifa, and I also don't have 3c59x configured
into my kernel (cuz I don't have a vortex :-)

We're closing in on an egcs-1.0.2 release, and I'd like to nail down
any problems of this nature asap. What can I do to help y'all
nail this problem down?

jeff