Re: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source

Phil Brutsche (pbrutsch@creighton.edu)
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:16:51 -0600 (CST)

On 25 Feb 1998, Jes Degn Soerensen wrote:

> X different drivers means X times acceleration functions in the
> kernel or am I missing something here? (no it doesn't matter that one
> should only compile what one uses, its still in the kernel tree).

Explain how thats different from having code specific to 50 (random
number; I don't have the source with me right now (the source is on my
home computer) to count. The number sounds about right for the SCSI code
and the others I mention, IIRC) sound cards in the kernel tree when one
doesn't have a sound card.

Ditto with the ethernet drivers. And the SCSI drivers. And the ISDN
drivers. And... (ad infinitum).

Phil Brutsche

"Be of stout heart, Number One. We've handled the Borg. We can
certainly handle Admiral Jellico." - Jean-Luc Picard

Linux: World Domination. Resistance is futile.