Re: Problems w/ UDMA

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 00:23:01 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Steven Suson wrote:

>PCI bus devices:
> Ethernet controller: DEC DC21041 (rev 33).
> SCSI bus controller: Adaptec AIC-7861 (rev 1).
> VGA compatible controller: Number Nine Imagine 128v2 (rev 2).
> IDE controller: VIA Technologies VT 82C586 Apollo IDE (rev 6).
> ISA bridge: VIA Technologies VT 82C586 Apollo ISA (rev 37).
> Host bridge: VIA Technologies VT 82C585 Apollo VP1/VPX (rev 16).

Hey, this is my same motherboard chipset. It' s dma buggy! Try to run a
soundblaster with digital audio at 44100 stereo on 2.1.8x with high disk
activities and tell me if it will lock your machine please (your poweroff
button should became disabled after the lock). I have a patch to fix it. I
also found that running hdparm -W1 lock the hd, but then the timeout
resets ide0 and all return to work again, so I don' t use -W1 now ;-).

Andrea[s] Arcangeli