Re: loopback net device

Chris Wedgwood (cw@ix.net.nz)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 14:47:15 +1300

From: Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To: Dominique LARCHEY-WENDLING <Dominique.LARCHEY-WENDLING@loria.fr>
cc: linux-kernel <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Re: loopback net device

> I would like to be able to have a loopback net with another
> IP addr than 127.0.0.1.

Have you tried the dummy net driver? It might suit your needs. Configure
your kernel with "Dummy net driver support", CONFIG_DUMMY (wonder
whether this is mentioned in the book Linux for Dummies) and see the
help text for that option.

Build a kernel with network & IP aliasing, then go:

ifconfig lo:0 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0

(changing values to suit..)

I'm not even sure of what use the dummy driver is with the latest kernels. I
suppose someone must have a sue for this... I guess for pinning routes to
it?

-Chris