Re: Linux uptime >494 days, overflowed to 0!

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 00:13:51 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Jeff Noxon wrote:

> The uptime value seems to have wrapped around to zero on one of my
> Linux 1.2.13 machines, which has been running continuously since Oct
> 15, '96. Now the machine reports an uptime of a little over one day.
> My best guess is that it has actually been up for 494 days.
>
> Has the uptime value really overflowed? There are no reboot or crash
> events in my wtmp file.
>
> The interrupt counters, by the way, have been negative for quite some
> time. :-) The machine is still working great.

I had a box like this running a mostly 1.2.13-lmp like kernel rebooted at
an uptime of 540+ days. When the jiffy counter wraps to 0, the system
thinks uptime is 0. Then it just starts counting back up.