Re: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 02:33:32 -0500

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 22:58:09 -0800
From: Michael Schmitz <schmitzm@uclink4.berkeley.edu>

I hate to defend the GGI people here :-) but I think there was no mention of
routing all tty IO through EvStack, ever. Only serial lines that are
somehow (?) dedicated as keyboard input devices feed into EvStack and
bypass the tty line
disc. layer directly.

On the Linux kernel list, people were specifically talking about
supporting *serial* terminals that sent PC keycodes, and in the message
which I quoted, there was discussion of running "ALL tty lines" into
EvStack.

Jason even gave a pseudo patch later:

in tty_send_char()

You should know better what that means; I can only guess ... Make that
an 'if (tty->kbdidx ....' for me. Only the 'keyboard line' should be
redirected elsewhere.

I have no idea; tty_send_char() isn't in the standard Linux kernel. I
assume it's from the part of drivers/char/*.c which gets heavily
rototilled by the GGI patches.

>I originally architected the tty layers so that you could support
>*multiple* serial ports doing 115 kbuad kermit transfers on a 386
>running at 40MHz. It would be shame to change Linux so that it requires
>a Pentium II to accomplish the same feat.....

No one suggested that :-) In fact, what would be the point of
filtering kermit data through the keyboard map??

Apparently so you could support serial terminals that emit PC keyboard
codes..... (I didn't say it was a good reason, mind you!)

- Ted