Re: minor patch for 2.1.87 NFS client

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 08:51:02 -0500

Hans-Christoph Rohland wrote:

> But the client (incl. portmap) was never restarted and worked fine
> before and after. (I am just now working on this box and did not
> reboot since Feb 23 09:07, when I installed your patch :-)
>
> Also note that this is the same operation: The same lookup failes
> first with ESTALE and then the RPC error 111 is showing up.
>
> This situation lasted for about 1.5 minutes.

Hi Christoph,

The error 111 means "connection refused", and is frequently reported when first
bringing up a system, or perhaps when a server goes down and reboots. A number
of people have reported that the problem can be fixed by starting the portmapper
earlier.

I'm not sure why you would get this error for an already running client, unless
there was some kind of network interruption.

Regards,
Bill