Re: Kernel Source Tree Size: Platform Subsets?

Ben Collins (ben@excelsus.com)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:02:30 -0500 (EST)

I have to disagree on this whole splitting up deal. The current size of
around 10 Megs (little more than 8Megs in bz2) is not that much to get. I
speak from the other end of a 28.8 modem so I am not a bandwidth junkie.
And if you go patch by patch then you see very little d/l times at all.

I do think that perhaps a reorganization of the directories is a good
idea. So that ppl who have limited space can easily rm -rf those parts
that they do not need. Patching might give them some errors, but it will
still patch the parts they do use.

You can't seperate the source tree with out also seperating the coders
that update it. All in all I think it should be left to the end user as to
which parts they do want and how they choose to get rid of what they don't
want.