Re: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source

Michael Schmitz (schmitzm@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 14:17:32 -0800

At 10:45 AM +0000 2/27/98, Alan Cox wrote:
>> routing all tty IO through EvStack, ever. Only serial lines that are
>> somehow (?) dedicated as keyboard input devices feed into EvStack and
>> bypass the tty line
>> disc. layer directly. Jason even gave a pseudo patch later:
>
>I assume what you are actually doing is making your GGI-Keyboard a
>line discipline in itself like PPP, SLIP, tty - which is nice and clean

No, I'm not going to make a GGI keyboard hack, Alan. I'm rather addicted to
the fbdev solution (no flame, that's just what I happen to work on most of
the time.

Geert's multihead support for fbcon lacks multiple keyboard (and mouse)
support.
And I feel there should be a way to solve this problem independent of GGI
(not because I think it's a Bad Thing, just so that people have some
choice). I think a new line discipline would be the cleanest, let's call it
kbd and the only differences to tty are 1) there's a translation map and b)
it's going to the fg tty of the attached set of consoles. Did I forget
something important??

Michael