Re: [FAQ] How to delete stubborn files [was Re: 2.1.88 E2FS Problems]

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 20:02:11 -0500

From: Peter Moulder <reiter@netspace.net.au>
Date: 26 Feb 1998 10:16:39 +1100

[ Rest of very good FAQ elided]

If the inode is really trashed (e.g. you have an immutable bit on a
device file), then you'll need to take a low-level approach.

Peter, thanks for writing this up. I have no doubt it should be useful.
It should be noted that e2fsck version 1.12 will detect device files
with the immutable bit, assume that they were caused by garbage written
in the inode table, and offer to clear the device file for you. A
testing version of e2fsprogs was released yesterday, as you may have
noticed, and assuming that all goes well, I should have the final
release of 1.12 released shortly.

All I need to do is make sure that 1.12 still compiles cleanly under
Linux 1.2 with a.out shared libraries. (Yes, I take backwards
compatibility very seriously, since there may be people who are still
using old Linux 1.2 machines as servers for stability reasons. I wish
most other Linux developers were as careful about backwards
compatibility issues....)

- Ted