Re: Kernel coding style?

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 02:00:31 -0500 (EST)

Bart Kus writes:

> Where are the specs on how to write code in the
> proper kernel "motif?"

Nooo!!!!

It is very bad style to put Motif in the kernel because
Motif is not free software. Put GTK in the kernel instead.

:-)

Use hard tabs, put '{' on the same line as other stuff...
When in doubt, the maintainer is right. There is a coding
style document in /usr/src/linux/Documentation, but nobody
will kill you if you ignore it within reason.

Actually, when the disk driver is dead and the X server lives it
would be nice to put an oops on the screen instead of silent death.
Calling X from the kernel is Not Nice, but anything else needs GGI.
SunOS can print crash info in graphics mode, why not Linux too?
We can't even switch to text mode like M$ does for really bad crashes.
I don't think "it locked up in X" is a good bug report.