Re: Freeze on cat /proc/bus/00/*

Kurt Garloff (garloff@kg1.ping.de)
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 10:32:09 +0100

On Fri, Feb 27, 1998 at 03:15:58PM -0700, Michael Ballbach wrote:
> Running kernel 2.1.88 on a Cyrix 200MX with 64 meg on an Asus (someone
> threw away the damn box) TX5N with a 430TX chipset.
>
> I just upgraded today, and was curious about any /proc changes/additions,
> so I looked around, (as a normal user) cd'd into /proc/bus/00 and issued a
> cat *, this locked the machine up. No vc switching, num lock, or network.
>
> I'm not about to try that again, as my users get pretty irritated when the
> machine randomly reboots... :) But if no one else can reproduce or see
> the problem, I'll investigate further.

Never heard of it. As it is expected to echo the configuration space of the
PCI devices, maybe your PCI does not get read properly. Try to play with the
CONFIG_PCI_BIOS, CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT, CONFIG_PCI_OPTIMIZE, CONFIG_PCI_OLD_PROC=y
settings. Maybe your BIOS is broken. Or Linux? But mine in fine.
Maybe it just locked up youe console, as it is binary data. Try hexdump then.

--
Kurt Garloff, Dortmund
<K.Garloff@ping.de>