Re: Big files in ext2fs (but not i_osync)

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 10:58:25 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> For that matter, we could decide that Really Big Files should not have
> any direct pointers, only indirects. That would actually be an
> optimization that would more than make up for stealing one direct
> pointer for extra size bits.

Trust me, you don't want to do this. This results in horrible stuff when
the file grows past the cut-off point, where you'd have to start shuffling
the indirect pointers on disk around or something equally disgusting.

Take the frags thing instead.

Linus