Re: Thread+network crashes in 2.0/2.1

Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer (babydr@nwrain.net)
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 16:11:46 -0800 (PST)

Hello Linus,

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Robert M. Fleischman wrote:
> >
> > By using our System.map and ksymoops.cc, that last crash looks like:

> Do you have any possibility to try other network cards, in order to help
> determine whether this is a driver of generic network layer bug?
>
> In particular, I'd suggest trying the Intel EtherExpress Pro 100B if you
> need 100Mbps networking: it happens to be what I have, and it has been
> extremely stable here at Transmeta (the de4x5 cards we used before that
> were stable but had very bad noise problems over the cable that resulted
> in bad performance for everybody on the same net, so we ended up chucking
> them out the window: the problem seemed to be with the 21140 chip iself as
> we tried different cards with the same chip and we tried both drivers with
> the same results).

Did this happen to manifest itself as 'Oversized packet ....'
messages ? I am keenly interested in the possibility .
although I am not using de4x5 cards , I am using the Kingston
variant here. At present not at 100mbps.

> If the problem goes away, we can be fairly confident that it is a vortex-
> specific problem and concentrate on that, while if the problem persists I
> might at least be able to look into it a bit more than I can now with a
> fault that happens in a driver for hardware that I don't have access to ;)
Tia, JimL
| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@nwrain.net |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Kent, WA 98032 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |