Re: IDE still misbehaving in pre-2.1.89-4 [WAS: Can't set UltraDMA mode 2 on Quantum Fireball SE]

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 09:38:45 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Adam D. Bradley wrote:

> Unfortunately, IDE is unstable in 2.1.85 and on, at least under SMP.

> peter kernel: PIIX3: IDE controller on PCI bus 0 function 57
> peter kernel: PCI->APIC IRQ transform: (B0,I7,P-1) -> -1
> peter kernel: PIIX3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> peter kernel: ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
> peter kernel: ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio

> (P.S. - 2.1.84 was rock-solid-stable, and I didn't see much in 2.1.85
> that should've touched IDE directly. IO-APIC changes maybe? Guess I
> better hack up a 2.1.89-4 kernel to compile for UP and start hammering
> it...)

yes, it could well be the IO-APIC changes. It must be related to your
hardware configuration as i have a BM-DMA setup as well, but no problems.
A few suggestions to find out what the differece is:

- could you try testing with a _single_ disk?

- testing UP mode is a good idea as well...

- turn off DMA with hdparm -d0 /dev/hd[ac]

- turn off IO-APIC irqs for the IDE driver, just add this to
io_apic.c, right after setup_IO_APIC_irqs():

setup_IO_APIC_irqs();
make_8259A_irq(14);
make_8259A_irq(15);

but it's also true that systems with the IO-APIC code get used much
harder, it could tickle otherwise inactive hardware bugs. (but this was
not the case until your report, so i'd really first suspect some ide*.c
incompatibility wrt the IO-APIC changes)

-- mingo